International Students

Welcome to Australia and congratulations on choosing IGI to advance your career through higher education. Moving to a new country for studies is a thrilling experience that holds great promise. To help you settle in and ensure you have the best experience possible, we have compiled a page of useful information and resources. If you hold a Student Visa, it’s important to note that your studies are subject to the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Framework, which entails additional rules and responsibilities. We recommend that you take the time to go through the information provided on this page, so that you are well-informed and prepared to live and learn in Australia.


Study Australia is an Australian Government website offering useful information on all aspects of living in Australia as an overseas student, such as:

Wherever you are in Australia, if there’s a life-threatening emergency, call 000 (zero zero zero). It’s a free call, even from your mobile. An operator will answer and will ask which of the following services you need: Police, Fire, Ambulance

If you’re not sure which one you need just tell the operator what you are calling about and they will help guide you. If you don’t speak English, tell the operator your language and you will be connected to a translator who will be able to assist.

You should call 000 if someone has been seriously injured or is in urgent need of medical help, if your life or property is being threatened, or if you have just witnessed a serious accident or crime.

Local police: for non-urgent matters – Call 131 444.

Poison Information Centre: Call 131 126 Provides advice on the management, assessment and treatment of poisonous products including non-prescription pharmaceuticals, household and industrial chemicals, and plant and animal venom.

In Australia public transport is equipped with security officers and guards, help points, good lighting and security cameras. However, you should still use caution when travelling on public transport, and avoid isolated stops and check timetables so you can avoid long waits especially at night. If traveling at night, use train carriages nearest to the driver or guard, as they are lit and safest. If you find yourself left in a train carriage on your own or with only one other person, you may feel more comfortable moving to another carriage.

Australia is a sunny country with many beautiful beaches, but there are a few things to know so you can stay safe and healthy. When you are outdoors, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. Avoid direct sun between 10am and 4pm and remember you can still get sun burnt even on cloudy days. At the beach always swim between the red and yellow flags where the lifeguards can see you and beware of strong underwater currents (“rips”).

Between October and March, parts of Australia can experience extreme heat and bushfires. It is important that you are aware of the danger so you can make a decision and act early. Follow the advice and instructions of local emergency services, such as the police and fire brigade.

  • Internet safety

Australia has established the eSafety Commissioner website  to protect students and children online. When using the Internet you should protect yourself against spam, online scams like ‘phishing’, online bullying and identity theft. You can find resources and more information about protecting yourself online and reporting abuse at

Sydney is a multicultural city where people from diverse backgrounds live, work and study. In your spare time there are many things you can take part in and experience, such as festivals, cultural events, or outdoor activities. You can discover Sydney’s most iconic landmarks, like the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, the Art Gallery of NSW or the Tower Eye, to name only a few, or take day trips out of the city to explore beautiful nearby destinations, like Blue Mountains, South Coast, Central Coast or Hunter Valley. You have the opportunity to experience different cuisines, cultures, arts that will help you create beautiful memories and have an enjoyable stay in Sydney.

Around the campus

  • Food: There are numerous places near George Street campus and underground where you can buy food & drinks, from food courts to cafes and restaurants. Some of the main ones are located in the Queen Victoria Building (QVB), 580 George Street Food Hall, or Pitt Street Mall. Most eateries offer vegetarian or vegan options.
  • Shopping Centres: Queen Victoria Building (QVB), The Galeries, Pitt Street Mall and Town Hall Square
  • Chemists: Pharmacy 4 Less, Glover Chemist, Chemist Warehouse, Priceline Pharmacy
  • Medical Centres: MediCentral (501 George St), Sydney Premier Medical Centre (309 Pitt Street), My Health Sydney CBD (151 Castlereagh Street)
  • Grocery stores: Woolworths Town Hall (corner Park Street & George Street)

Find out more about Sydney here:

As a student you may be starting your first job, or you will be working for the first time in Australia as an overseas student. There are things you need to know regarding employment in Australia and your rights and protections in the workplace. A summary is provided below. For detailed information please visit Fair Work Ombudsman website, in particular the section for young workers and students available here:

  • TFN (Tax File Number)

Everyone working in Australia needs a TFN, which is a 9-digit number that identifies you in the tax and superannuation system. If you don’t have a TFN, it is free to apply and you can do it online:

  • Getting ready for work

Before you start you job make sure you find out all the important information you need, such as pay rate, hours of work, job duties, probation period, etc. Fair Work website also offers a free Starting a new Job course as well as a downloadable Guide to starting a new job.

  • Pay, entitlements and working conditions

Employees get different pay and allowances depending on their employment type, so it is important that you know this information before you start your job. Details, pay guides, and a pay and conditions tool are available here:

  • Dealing with workplace bullying, sexual harassment and discrimination

As an employee you have the right to a workplace free from bullying, discrimination and sexual harassment. Resources and information on where to get help if and when you need it are available here:


Bullying in the workplace refers to unreasonable behaviour towards another worker or situations when the behaviour poses risks to health and safety. Examples include aggressive behaviour towards other workers; teasing or playing practical jokes; excluding someone from work-related events;  unreasonable work demands, to name a few. If you are subject to bullying in the workplace you can speak to your manager, health and safety representative, the human resources department, a union or a lawyer, or you can contact the Fair Work Commission. More information is available here:


Unlawful workplace discrimination occurs when an employer takes adverse action against an employee because of one or more of the following: race, colour, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, religion, political opinion, social origin. This adverse reaction may be dismissal, refusal to employ, altering the employee’s position to their disadvantage, etc. If you believe you  have been discriminated against in the workplace, you can contact Fair Work Ombudsman or the Australian Human Rights Commission. See details here:


Sexual harassment

Refers to unwelcome sexual behaviour that could make another person feel offended, humiliated or intimidated. Examples include being exposed to or witnessing inappropriate physical contact; sexually explicit picture, email or text; indiscrete personal questions; request for sex, etc. The Respect@Work website  provides comprehensive resources for understanding, preventing, and responding to workplace sexual harassment. You can get help by speaking to your manager, health and safety representative, the human resources department, a union or a lawyer. You can also choose to contact the Fair Work Commission or the Australian Human Rights Commission.

If you feel unsafe, phone 000. If there is no immediate danger but you need police help, phone 131 444.

You can contact the police about any assault that may involve criminal conduct.


In addition to the information provided above, if you need more information or help with other employment-related issues, please go to

Australia provides rigorous protection for international students through the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act) and related legislation – known as ESOS Framework – which protects and enhances Australia’s reputation for quality education, provides tuition protection and supports the integrity of the student visa program.

All Australian institutions wishing to enrol overseas students must be registered and listed on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and must comply with the ESOS Framework. Breaches are treated seriously, and the penalties can be significant.

IGI is a CRICOS approved institution, CRICOS Provider Code 04116M.

If you are an overseas student on an Australian student visa you must comply with Australian student visa requirements. Depending on your visa and personal circumstances, these requirements may include but are not limited to:

  • Work restrictions

You are allowed to work no more than 40 hours a fortnight. A fortnight means the period of 14 days starting on a Monday.

  • Meet course requirements

You must remain enrolled in a registered course* for which your visa was granted and maintain satisfactory course progress** for each study period.

*A registered course is one that is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

**Satisfactory course progress means progress towards successfully completing the academic requirements of the course in which you are enrolled, within the set duration. For details see the Academic Progression Policy published on IGI website.

  • Maintain adequate health insurance

You are required to have and maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the whole duration of your stay in Australia, to ensure you are fully covered for any medical and/or hospital care you may need while in Australia.

  • Inform IGI of your address

You must let us know your residential address within 7 days of arriving in Australia if you were outside Australia when your visa was granted. If your residential address changes while you’re studying with us, you must let us know your updated address within 7 days of the change.

  • Arrangements for the education of your school-age dependants

If your school-age dependants are in Australia for more than 3 months as a dependant on your visa, you must maintain adequate arrangements for their education.

For a complete list of conditions that might be attached to your visa please visit the Department of Home Affairs website: